Sunday, August 16, 2009

Animations or Animated Textbooks?

I had never really explored the possibility of animations in education and learning and was quite surprised at the amount of animations available for free on the Internet. Animations are an ICT tool that would work particularly well if each student had access their own computer. This allows for students to progress through the material at their own speed. Animations are also fun, engaging and almost like an interactive textbook.

The following sites are animations that I could possibly use in music education:

Science of Music
This site is really fun and interesting for primary school children. Many activities could be done in pears and discussed later as a group, or using an interactive whiteboard.

Flash Animations for Teaching Music History
I actually found this website taught me a lot about structure and scales in music. By allowing only parts of the material to be revealed (depending on what is clicked), students can digest the information more easily then if it was all presented together.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jane. I really like The Science of Music website. I think primary school students would enjoy it a lot. I don't know a lot about teaching music or anything but I sure learnt some things by just navigating the site by myself and I'm sure, with the teachers help and guidance, students could learn a lot from this interaction. It is good, as it allows visuals to explain the science of music, which would be hard to explain verbally.

    Cheers Casey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Casey, I'm glad you liked it! If we as adults can get distracted "playing" with these educational tools, then its a good sign the children will be quickly engaged as well!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete