Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Super Wiki

I have now set up a wetpaint wiki eLearning and Music. It is devoted to ICT and music education and it took me only half an hour! What better way to provide a meaningful outlet to my own research and also gain more knowledge through others’ contributions.

I consider wikis to be one of the top ICT learning tools. We have entered the information age as we now have access to global knowledge (through an infinite number of webpages) , in addition to the ability to add to that knowledge and collaborate worldwide (through web 2.0 or the interactive component of the web). Pesce (video podcast, 2008, June 2) believes wholeheartedly in using the interactive side of the web. He considers himself to be a constructivist stating, “I believe that children learn through interactions with their environment”. So, if a student’s environment now includes the internet, shouldn’t they be interacting with it in every area of learning? And, what better way to interact and collaborate than using wikis?

The following video discusses in more detail how wikis can be used in education.




Hopefully my wiki will develop into something worthwhile. All I have to do according to wetpaint’s tips for a successful wiki is, “Build better content”, “Encourage participation”, “Promote your site” and “Invite others to participate”. All of these suggestions I haven’t yet done, but if, and when I do, it may develop into a site that is shared, quoted and tagged by multitudes of students and educators. Ok, well maybe not that successful, but it’s good to have big dreams!

Reference

Pesce, M. (2008, June 2). Those wacky kids. Australian Council for Education Research. Podcast retrieved from http://www.viddler.com/explore/mpesce/videos/14/

No comments:

Post a Comment