Sunday, August 16, 2009

Quizzes: ICT or no ICT? That is the Question

I love doing quizzes. Whether they’re summative or formative I don’t really mind, because for some reason I don’t view them as ‘work’. Perhaps it’s the abundance of personality or dating quizzes available that we do in our free time with the goal being, ‘self improvement’ or, ‘finding out who we really are’. And they can be used not only for adults but also for children and in any subject area.

I created this simple quiz Grade 1 Music Theory to explore the possibilities of this ICT tool. It was very easy and had numerous options such as, allowing one attempt or multiple, displaying final result or hiding result, showing correct answers or not at the end of the test and even the option of having the test timed. I tested my quiz on a couple of my students. They seemed to put much more concentration and effort in than they would if the test had been on paper and in black ink.

So yes, I will use ICT in the form of online quizzes, probably more in summative assessment. It’s a way of making the learner feel in control of their own learning and able to assess their progress in a non threatening way.

No comments:

Post a Comment